In 2012 I will be offering for the first time, a unique, web-based course on the Foundations of Mindfulness. Mindfulness
in the sense of deeper perception and understanding of how you, your mind, your feelings, perceive, react to and think about your world and your self. Mindfulness
in the sense of becoming aware of the many robot-like, automatized ways of perceiving and reacting we have which might have been useful once upon a time, but which now distort our perceptions, understandings, and reactions. Mindfulness
in the sense of formal, classic meditation practices common to the world's spiritual traditions, like concentrative meditation and insight meditation, and, even more importantly, increasing mindfulness in your everyday life activities, where you need it the most! I think hardly anyone has ever hurt themselves or others very much with their thoughts and perceptions while sitting on a special cushion and calling it "meditation," but how many times have we mindlessly said or done something in ordinary life that led to all sorts of unpleasant consequences, and we end up thinking "If only I'd realized what I was saying and doing at the time and kept quiet, or said something else!"
It's much more difficult to speak clearly from the heart, but my heart is behind these words, and my basic aim is that we all live happier lives through becoming wiser and kinder. I also teach from a conviction that increasing our self-knowledge is a vital path in those directions of happier, more effective, and spiritually growthful lives. I hope my words and presence can convey some of that wish to you. We'll talk about heart, as well as intellectual, knowledge often in this course.
Who am I teaching this course for?
- if you are curious about understanding your own mind better and using it better, and/or
- if you are thinking of starting some spiritual practice like meditation or mindful living, or already are such a practitioner, and/or
- if you are suspecting that some of your suffering in life comes from the way your mind operates, but it doesn't have to operate that way....and/or
- if you are looking for more meaning to life than contemporary, materialistic culture presents you.
We are fortunate to live in a time when all of the world's deeper spiritual paths, systems and disciplines of practice that claim to lead us to our deeper spiritual nature, are much more available than ever before.
In the three weeks of the Workshop, you will be introduced to:
- Concentrative meditation, the "pumping mental iron" that increases your ability to focus and hold your attention,
- Insight meditation, where you start using that increased ability to focus, observe, and explore how your mind actually works, and
- Gurdjieffian self-remembering, where you bring increased mindfulness to your everyday life activities.
We hope that you will join us on this journey of exploration!
-- Dr. Charles T. Tart
Full information at www.glidewing.com.
Questions? Please write to GlideWing at email@example.com